Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Triggers

This morning I had a brunch date with some awesome friends :)  We just shared what was going on in our hearts and how our relationship with the Lord is going. I haven't felt this refreshed in a long time! It was a great way to start my day! One of the things we talked about were triggers.

We all have different traits that rear up when we are falling away from God. I, for example, am very aware that when I stop focusing on God and finding my fulfillment in Him, I tend to start knit picking my home decor. I start putting my focus on how to make my house look a certain way and my materialism issue starts to just bubble over! It is very obvious and is never fulfilling and I'm never happy with any of the decisions I make for the house. My friends each had totally different unwanted tendencies that are heighten when their relationship is not focused on God.

Instead of wallowing in our negative tendencies, we started talking about what triggers us in the opposite direction. What things really get us in the mood for a good solid quiet time with the Lord? Or what makes us really feel alive in worship? I was trying to think of what my trigger is. I left the brunch feeling so happy and relaxed. I think that might be a trigger. Good fellowship with christian friends talking about God. I also really like to have a big glass of chocolate milk along with some yummy breakfast, open the curtains in the morning, and read with the sunlight shining in.

We talked about how when we start noticing our negative triggers, we should try and replace them with our positive triggers. Instead of giving into our sinful desires of things that leave us feeling empty, we should lean into the things that make us happy and focused on Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment