Friday, January 14, 2011

Talking Donkey

 I know everyone has heard of the "normal" unusual situations like Jonah and the whale and Noah's Ark, but in the past few days I have learned two new stories that blow my mind.  When I hear them I think, did that say what I think it said?

Story #1 was brought to my attention by one of my good friends. I had never heard about the sun literally standing still. Joshua 10:13 clearly says, "So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, till the nation avenged itself on its enemies, as it is written in the Book of Jashar. The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day." Really?? How impossible is that?? Could you imagine the sun staying up for a whole day?? What would you do if you witnessed that??

Story #2 I just stumbled across while reading. Have you ever heard of the talking donkey?? I sure hadn't and neither had Ryan. Numbers 22:28-30 says, "And the LORD opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?” Then Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have made a mockery of me! If there had been a sword in my hand, I would have killed you by now.” The donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your donkey on which you have ridden all your life to this day? Have I ever been accustomed to do so to you?” And he said, “No."' This Balaam guy just replies to the donkey without a second thought?? God thinks of the darnedest things!

Anyway the point that was proven me to and told to me over and over again is that God can do whatever he wants. My friend that just got back from Vietnam talked about struggling with "What am I going to do in the short time I am over there??" I totally was having this same feeling toward Nicaragua. Call it lack of faith, but it seemed so (dare I say...) impossible for me to make THAT much of a difference in the few days I am over there.  However, isn't this exactly what the Bible is for? To show us examples of how common ordinary people do extraordinary things thanks to our great big God.  I am amazed at God's timing to bring these stories into my life at this particular time. Today I am feeling uber-confident today that I can make a difference in people's lives in Nicaragua because God is using ME to do it. I am following His will and going and He is going to use me. Why else would He bring us there?

So to sum it all up. God can and will do whatever He wants and I get to be a part of something cool. Maybe not as extravagant as the sun standing still or witnessing a talking donkey, but you never know! The best way to be a part of all the greatness that is God is to give your life over to him and that is exactly what I am trying to do! Watch out world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment