Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Birth Story

Tonight at our small group/community group/bible study/whatever cool name you wanna call it, I found myself retelling Adelyn's birth story. It surprised me how much I enjoyed telling it, and I could have told every little detail, but I don't think my audience would have appreciated it. However, you, my dear audience, can choose to stop reading if you don't want the all details. Here we go...

Adelyn Mae's Birth Story...

On New Years Eve, the hubz came home from work early because his stomach hurt. He ended up having the stomach bug and allll the fun that comes with that. I was only a few hours away from my due date (Jan 1st) and HUGE. I stayed away from him all day. My mother-in-law brought over medicine and took care of anything the hubz needed that day. At around 5pm, I decided to make a run for some gatorade and dinner. I got a Sonic chilli cheese cony and maybe some tator tots. I started to feel really bad after I ate dinner (I can't imagine why with that wholesome meal?!) so I went to lay down in our bed room. Sure enough the bug symptoms hit me not long after.

Inbetween bouts of sickness I felt fine, so I called my mom to see what I should do. She encouraged me to call the doctor. So I called the nurse and she said to go straight to Labor and Delivery IF I was having contractions. Well a first time 40 week pregnant lady can't really tell the difference between labor contractions and stomach bug issues, so my mom thought it was a good idea to go ahead just to be safe and head to the hospital to at least get check out.

My mom and dad picked me up around 11:30pm on New Years Eve to bring me to the hospital. My hubz was still too sick to move and definitely too medicated to drive me. The whole way to the hospital I kept thinking inbetween sickness episodes that I can't believe this is how my delivery is going to start. All the while I was not fully convinced that I was actually going to have a baby soon.

This is when things start to run together, and I get fuzzy on the details...I went straight up to L&D and went to the triage room. (The nurse had a hard time with me because she would get sick when other people got sick? Strange for a nurse?) Eventually there was talk about possibly a c-section because something was happening everytime I had an episode to the baby. I made my mom call Ryan and tell him to get up here fast. His mom had to drive him. I was admitted to the hospital after some time, but just to monitor the baby. There were no real signs of impending delivery. I got pumped full of some drugs to take away my stomach issues and started to fall asleep. My parents left and Ryan slept on the couch and his mom stayed with us. I guess that was all around 3 AM.  At about 4, I  I felt a pop and a gush. I suddenly woke up and told my MIL I thought my water had broke. She called for the nurse, but the nurse wasn't really convinced it was my water. (Not sure why? It very clearly was). Ryan's mom called my parents back up and Ryan had to wake up. It was game time...

Things progressed fast. Once I painfully got dilated to 6cm, they called for the epidural. I have no idea how long it took, but it seemed like FOREVER for the doctor  to get there. Once he did they started to sit me up and I was in PAIN. The nurses check me again and there was no time for the epidural. It was time to push. AHHH!!!! (The doctor also said since I was previously sick he wouldn't have done the epidural anyway.)

Pushing was intense and super hard. I was exhausted and so very thirsty. I pushed for about an hour and half and at 8:26 AM on New Years Day our doctor announced It's a GIRL!!!!
Adelyn Mae was healthy and perfect.

The rest they say is history....

No comments:

Post a Comment