Thursday, August 18, 2011

Our story...

I have been waiting a really long time to write a post like this and now I am soooo excited to be able to!

Part 1:
Ryan and I have decided to adopt a baby from Ethiopia. We have both been on the same page and officially wanting to start our family this way since February. However, about that time was when I was informed that we could not even start the paperwork for our baby until one of us is almost 25. So I was really bummed and upset. I actually prayed for God to take away my desire to adopt a baby. Life continued and (TMI) we decided to give God full control and see if we got pregnant before we were 25. I got a little caught up in that and passed the time with obviously no baby. I remember even telling my friend that I don't even want to adopt right now. That was like the magic phrase because I instantly realized that God had been at work. He literally answered my prayer by letting me be occupied with trying to get pregnant. Well the summer came and I just was floating along. Then one morning about a week before I went to Venezuela I woke up with a mission. I wanted to know why I thought I had to wait until two months before I was 25 to start the adoption process. I looked through all of my adoption emails and they all said to wait until I was six months from 25. Enter me spazzing out realizing that we are in the six months window and we could possibly start the process. It was an exciting day.

Part 2:
I called Ryan and we starting re-evaluating agencies we wanted to use. Originally I wanted to use Gladney, however I realized that they were not a strong faith based agency. This process already has God all over it, so I wanted an agency that would focus on God at the center of our adoption.  We did some more research and talked to some references and decided on America World Adoption Agency. This agency seemed so God focused it was just perfect! An added bonus and big plus is that we actually know a couple using this agency!! We filled out the pre-application and requested an information packet. Then we left for Venezuela. During our trip I know God was affirming this choice in our life. I had four different adoption comments made towards me that really just sealed the deal for me! We came home and found out we were allowed to apply! On Thursday night around 6 we sent in our application and fee. (I point out that we had to pay for the sole reason of showing that this is a committed decision. My engineer-minded husband would not have paid if we weren't serious about this!)  The website said they would contact us within 10 business days. I was excited, but a little nervous and scared. This was real!! Honestly, I was probably more scared than excited. That allllll changed the very next day, Friday. I was about to get ready for school and I got an email. That email said that it was rare they never have follow up questions, but our application looked great and she was sending it to the officially people! She said that we should be getting some exciting news early the next week. I went bananas. I am sure this is possibly what it feels like when a women gets two pink lines.

Part 3:
We decided it was safe to say that we would be officially starting the process and we started telling our family and very closest friends. God definitely answered some of my huge prayer requests. Overall, it was a really exciting weekend. We got some unsure emotions, but that was to be expected. We know that any doubts and fears will be erased the minute we see our sweet baby!

Part 4:
This week started and I was super busy at work. Another blessing from God. We didn't hear anything until Wednesday! I was starting to worry and then I got a phone call right before they were closing their offices for the day. We were sent an email with about ten documents attached that we have to fill out and mail in. Once AWAA receives those documents we will be assigned a Family Coordinator and a Social Worker.

So that is where we are right now.  It is just the beginning of our adoption journey!!!
I will answer some common questions in another blog post soon! I think this one is long enough :)

1 comment:

  1. Sooooo excited for you guys. And what a perfect way to share it with your family!

    ReplyDelete