Monday, November 14, 2011

Home Study 101

We have two of our four home studys completed! Yahh!! Our next two are going to be on Sunday. (God willing- I get a little nervous announcing it Just hoping I don’t jinx it!) Our social worker is going to be coming to our house this time.
Our first H.S. was in Huntsville and she just drilled us with an 1 1/2 hours of questions. They ranged from “Why do you want to adopt?”, to “What are your strengths and weakness of your marriage” to anything else you could possibly think of couple related. I would love to see how people who are wanting to get pregnant would do on these tests. I bet there would be a lot less pregnancies! You really have to want to adopt to do this!! However, as stressful as that sounds, it really was very relaxed interview. We both left feeling like we answered everything truthful and hoping for the best!
Our second H.S. was much more laid back. It was a training session, not so much an interview. There were four other America World adoptive couples, an adoptive mom of 7 (or 9- I can’t quite remember), and an adult adoptee. The stories from the mom and adult adoptee were awesome. I am really glad they were there to give their testimonies. The rest of the training was making sure we are prepared for having a biracial adoptive family. Scary, but necessary.
The next two H.S. are individual interviews. Ryan and I will both get interviewed separately. I am assuming the questions will be geared more towards making sure we are emotionally ready to handle parenthood. All the books I have been reading talk a lot about making sure the parents are emotionally stable. Our kiddo could have some serious “issues” and if we have our own “issues” that haven’t been dealt with then we are all in trouble. Hopefully my “issues” aren’t anything out of the norm! We all have sommmmme issues right?? She also is going to check our house to make sure it is baby ready! This makes me super excited, but also kind of panicky. We still have plenty of time before the baby gets here, but we better get ready! Some things on our list to buy and install are: fire extinguisher, new batteries for fire alarms, baby proof all our drawers (yikes!), outlet covers for all of our electric sockets. Those are pretty much it which isn’t that bad, but I am not really looking forward to having baby proofed drawers and no baby!  However, I will do whatever it takes!!!

009



No comments:

Post a Comment